Healthcare leaders must push for serious organizational change to keep up with the needs of patients and the culture of the workforce, according to a new Press Ganey report released this week. The report, Accelerating Transformation: Translating Strategy Into Action, outlines a road map for creating an organizational structure to improve safety, quality, patient experience, and workforce engagement.
The steps Press Ganey recommends include:
- Align under one enterprise-wide transformational vision
- Build a culture ready for change by engaging the workforce and empowering leaders
- Adopt an integrated data and management strategy
“There is no shortcut or ‘easy button’ on the journey to delivering patient-centered care,” said Press Ganey Executive Chairman Patrick T. Ryan in a release. “For healthcare transformation to occur, leaders must gain a deep understanding of patients’ and caregivers’ needs and establish an integrated strategy to meet those needs reliably every day. An aligned culture working toward a shared vision is the single most important aspect to achieving transformation.”
Press Ganey recommends the adoption of transformational principles, including:
- Commit to a goal of Zero Harm
- Put patients at the center of the planning, delivery, and assessment of care
- Recognize and define safety, quality, and patient-centric care as the primary elements of the patient experience
- Drive change using data and transparency
- Transform culture and leadership
- Focus on accountability and execution
The report is available for download.