The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) unveiled its new Framework for Effective Board Governance of Health System Quality at its national forum in Orlando today. The framework was released with an accompanying Governance of Quality tool, which outlines specific oversight responsibilities and actions trustees can take to achieve them. The framework and tool are designed to help the approximately 80,000 health system trustees in the U.S. navigate the complex world of overseeing quality.
The IHI Lucian Leape Institute convened a group of leading governance organizations, industry thought leaders, and trustees to develop the framework and tool. The framework and tool are designed to do the following:
- Simplify concepts when defining actionable processes and activities for trustees and those who oversee them to support quality
- Incorporate dimensions of quality that are safe, timely, effective, efficient, equitable, and patient-centered (STEEEP), as defined by the Institute of Medicine
- Include community health and value as critical elements of quality oversight
- Govern health quality through the healthcare setting
- Advance organizational improvement knowledge to help trustees evaluate, prioritize, and improve quality
- Identify the key elements of a board culture and commitment to high-quality, patient-centered, equitable care
Visit the IHI website for more information.